Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Oops, there it is. Your tattoo is showing.
Now you run the risk of getting fired, not getting the job at all, or having an upset relative lecture you.
Save yourself the trouble by using the best tattoo cover-up makeup.
These foundations, concealers, and sprays hide tattoos.
If you’re anxious to know what makeup can cover tattoos, keep reading. and more
- How to Use Tattoo Makeup
- Types of Tattoo Cover up Makeup
- Quick Comparison
- 25 Best Tattoo Cover up Makeup (2020 Update)
- 1. Make Up For Ever Full Cover Extreme Camouflage Cream Waterproof
- 2. Dermablend Leg and Body Makeup Foundation with SPF 25
- 3. Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Foundation with SPF 30
- 4. Dermablend Quick-Fix Color Corrector Powder
- 5. Dermablend Setting Powder, Loose Translucent Powder for Finishing and Setting Makeup
- 6. Dermablend Makeup Setting Spray Set + Refresh for Long Lasting Makeup Wear
- 7. Dermacol Make-up Cover Full Coverage Foundation
- 8. Boo-Boo Cover-Up Concealer
- 9. Laura Mercier Silk Cream Oil Free Photo Edition Foundation
- 10. Vichy Dermafinish Liquid Foundation with SPF 30
- 11. Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation
- 12. Ideal Conceal Body Enhancer Medium/Dark Bronzer Concealer
- 13. Clinique Beyond Perfecting Super Concealer Camouflage
- 14. Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof 12-Hour Perfect Concealer
- 15. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15
- 16. Cargo Swimmables Longwear Foundation
- 17. L’Oréal Paris Makeup Infallible up to 24HR Fresh Wear Liquid Longwear Foundation
- 18. Maybelline New York Facestudio Master Conceal Makeup
- 19. Belloccio Fair Color Shade Foundation Set – Professional Cosmetic Airbrush Makeup
- 20. Tattoo Camouflage Cover Up Makeup Concealer Complete Coverage
- 21. Ben Nye Theatrical Creme Personal Kit
- 22. Mehron Makeup CreamBlend Stick
- 23. Mehron Makeup Setting Powder
- 24. Sally Hansen Air Brush Legs Light Glow
- 25. Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Makeup
How to Use Tattoo Makeup
Even if you’re not familiar with wearing makeup, a little practice will turn you into a pro.
- First, wash your skin where your tattoo is located. Pat it dry then grab concealer. The concealer should be lighter than your actual skin tone.
- Second, dab the concealer over the tattoo with your finger or a makeup sponge. Don’t rub because you’ll just push the makeup around. It doesn’t matter if the ink isn’t completely covered yet. For especially colorful art, you might need a color-correcting concealer.
- Third, let the concealer air dry for a couple of minutes. Now apply foundation that matches your skin tone in a thin layer with a brush, sponge, or your fingers. If it dries and you can still see the tattoo, add another layer. Keep building layers until the tattoo disappears.
- Fourth, once the makeup is dry, apply setting powder with a brush.
- Fifth, for extra protection against tattoo makeup rubbing off on clothes, spray hairspray over the area (1).
If time permits, try out the makeup before the day when you need to hide the tattoo. That way, you can test it to make sure it matches your skin and doesn’t wear off easily.
Types of Tattoo Cover up Makeup
We have four suggestions for how you can cover up a tattoo with makeup.
The one that’s usually least expensive is regular makeup and concealer. If you have a full coverage foundation, it may be enough to disguise the ink.
Double-check that your makeup is transfer-resistant and water-resistant so that it won’t rub off on your clothes or melt away if it rains.
Next, try a foundation like Dermablend or Dermacol that’s made to cover scars, birthmarks, and other blemishes anywhere on the body. They are highly pigmented and long-wearing.
Also, alcohol-based airbrush makeup used by professional stylists is excellent for hiding tattoos. It may last up to 3 days and doesn’t need touchups (2).
Besides that, you could try stage makeup, although it’s sometimes not as natural-looking.
Finally, some people have success using spray tan to hide tattoos on their body.
As we go through the top tattoo cover up makeup reviews today, we’ll discuss each of these possibilities.
If you don’t want to read the full article then check out our favorite products in the table below.
25 Best Tattoo Cover up Makeup (2020 Update)
1. Make Up For Ever Full Cover Extreme Camouflage Cream Waterproof
Make Up For Ever full cover cream is the easiest way to cover up tattoos, acne scars, and blemishes for up to 16 hours at a time.
It’s made to be resistant to smudging, transferring to clothes, and perspiration.
When you smooth it on your skin, you can see how pigmented it is. Even though it’s a stick, it’s very creamy. Build layers until the ink is hidden, then set it with a powder.
Also important, it won’t clog pores or trigger reactions in sensitive skin. It doesn’t have artificial fragrances or parabens.
2. Dermablend Leg and Body Makeup Foundation with SPF 25
Someone asked us the other day, “How can I cover up my tattoo for my wedding?” We recommended Dermablend’s leg and body foundation. It lasts up to 16 hours when you set it with Dermablend powder.
Similar to the stick foundation, the cream comes in a variety of shades. It’s made for active wear as it resists smudging and transferring and has sunscreen.
3. Dermablend Cover Creme Full Coverage Foundation with SPF 30
The Dermablend Cover Cream layers nicely to cover ink with minimum effort. Furthermore, it won’t cause you to break out as it’s hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic for sensitive skin.
It lasts up to 16 hours if you use Dermablend’s Setting Powder.
4. Dermablend Quick-Fix Color Corrector Powder
Dermablend recommends Color Corrector Powder if you have bright and bold ink to cover. The powder comes in 4 shades: green to hide red, red to hide green, yellow to minimize purple, and orange.
Brush on the powder to minimize the colors, then use concealer and foundation as usual.
5. Dermablend Setting Powder, Loose Translucent Powder for Finishing and Setting Makeup
We keep mentioning setting powder, and here it is.
Why would you use Dermablend’s instead of some of the brand? It’s because it’s formulated to extend the wearability of their foundation and concealer.
Choose from translucent, Cool Page, or Warm Saffron.
6. Dermablend Makeup Setting Spray Set + Refresh for Long Lasting Makeup Wear
If the idea of spritzing hairspray on your skin doesn’t appeal, try Dermablend’s makeup setting spray. It will leave your skin fresh and natural, not sticky or shiny.
7. Dermacol Make-up Cover Full Coverage Foundation
Next up, we have what may be the best waterproof tattoo cover for swimming.
While Dermablend promises to be water-resistant, Dermacol promises to stand up to a dip in the pool.
One of the secrets to its effectiveness is the fact that it’s 50% pigment. That much pigment provides perfect coverage. Just layer it on until you’re satisfied.
Dermacol is hypoallergenic and free of preservatives. Additionally, it’s available in 19 shades.
If you need to need to cover up a tattoo frequently, we’d recommend Dermablend or Dermacol as they are nearly foolproof to use.
If you find yourself wishing you’d never gotten inked, and you can’t afford tattoo removal trhough laser, then talk to an artist about altering the tattoo. Turn it into something that suits you better.
–The Team’s take
8. Boo-Boo Cover-Up Concealer
The Boo-Boo Concealer isn’t supposed to be used on fresh tattoos, although you can put it on cuts and pimples that are healing. It contains Vitamin E, tea tree oil, green tea, chamomile, along with plenty of pigment.
With those ingredients, you’d think that it would make for a good aftercare balm. But please, don’t use it for that. If you must hide a new tattoo that’s healing, use a bandage and then remove that as soon as possible.
On the other hand, talk to your dermatologist about using this concealer if you’re doing laser tattoo removal.
9. Laura Mercier Silk Cream Oil Free Photo Edition Foundation
Like Dermablend and Dermacol, Laura Mercier’s foundation was designed to make skin look flawless.
This concealer stick is heavily pigmented. The finish lasts up to 12 hours. For best results, use it with the foundation below.
10. Vichy Dermafinish Liquid Foundation with SPF 30
The Dermafinish Foundation is fragrance-free and safe for contact lens wearers. If you have a facial tattoo you need to disguise, this is a good choice.
11. Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation
You only need one or two drops of Kat Von D’s liquid Tattoo Foundation to cover your entire face. That means you won’t need much to hide a tat or two.
It comes in 14 shades for a wide range of skin colors and undertones.
12. Ideal Conceal Body Enhancer Medium/Dark Bronzer Concealer
If Ideal Conceal Body Concealer can cover up bruises and spider veins, then it’s great for hiding tattoos.
It won’t rub off on clothes or dissolve if you sweat. In fact, you’ll need Indelible Makeup Remover to clean it off your skin.
The only con is that it comes in just four colors.
13. Clinique Beyond Perfecting Super Concealer Camouflage
Clinique’s Super Concealer corrects for color and lasts for up to 24 hours. It resists high humidity and sweat.
14. Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof 12-Hour Perfect Concealer
Tarte’s waterproof concealer hides blemishes for up to 12 hours. If you have a small tattoo you want to disguise, this twist-up stick is convenient to have on hand. It sets to a matte finish.
15. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15
Tarte’s full coverage foundation also dries to a matte finish that keeps oily skin under control.
16. Cargo Swimmables Longwear Foundation
Cargo’s Swimmables Foundation lasts all day long, but not in the pool. That’s because it’s water-resistant, not waterproof. But it will stand up to humidity and a little perspiration.
17. L’Oréal Paris Makeup Infallible up to 24HR Fresh Wear Liquid Longwear Foundation
L’Oreal’s Infallible foundation is handy for those on a budget. It’s much cheaper than some of the other options we’ve listed.
Another bonus is that this makeup comes in 30 shades so it can match almost any tone. Plus, you can blend two colors together if needed.
If you set it with powder, the foundation can endure up to 24 hours. It resists transferring and sweat.
18. Maybelline New York Facestudio Master Conceal Makeup
Maybelline’s full coverage foundation is also less expensive and effective. Layer it on until you get the results you desire.
19. Belloccio Fair Color Shade Foundation Set – Professional Cosmetic Airbrush Makeup
If you have an airbrush gun, you’re ready to use this product. Once you apply it, this foundation stays looking great all day long without touchups. The finish is so natural that it’s hard to tell you’re wearing makeup at all.
Speaking of natural, this airbrush makeup is available in a wide assortment of shades and tones, too. And unlike some brands, it’s water-based, which makes it less aggressive for sensitive skin.
20. Tattoo Camouflage Cover Up Makeup Concealer Complete Coverage
Now let’s move on from makeup to Tattoo Camouflage.
This is a kit that comes with a concealer and setting powder. But then you’ll also need the Magic Shield Spray to make it resistant to smudging.
At the end of the day, you also need Remover Tonic to dissolve the camouflage.
But if you find that regular makeup isn’t doing a good enough job, this is an option worth trying.
21. Ben Nye Theatrical Creme Personal Kit
Next, there’s theatrical makeup. The Ben Nye brand is well-known and not too pricey. You can give it a try with this Personal Kit that includes everything you need.
It includes creme foundation, contour palette, powder, and applicators like a brush, sponge, and puff. They estimate it will last through “several dozen applications.”
On the downside, you’ll need makeup remover to cleanse your skin when you’re done wearing it.
22. Mehron Makeup CreamBlend Stick
Another alternative is Mehron’s stage makeup. It doesn’t have a petroleum base like greasepaint. It’s also enriched with antioxidants and vitamins to protect your skin.
Professional makeup manufacturer Mehron has been in business in the USA for almost a century. Their products are known to stand up to extreme performance conditions. Plus, they are highly pigmented for complete camouflage of tattoos.
23. Mehron Makeup Setting Powder
Use the setting powder with the CreamBlend Stick to ensure that your tattoo stays hidden. The powder absorbs excess moisture.
For maximum results, set with powder, then apply Barrier Spray to seal everything.
24. Sally Hansen Air Brush Legs Light Glow
Sally Hansen’s spray tan is like airbrush makeup to hide tattoos. But you don’t need to buy a separate airbrush gun to apply it. It comes in a ready-to-use can.
Once it’s dry, it hides veins, freckles, and ink. But if your ink is especially vibrant, you might still need coverup to disguise it completely.
25. Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Makeup
Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Makeup has a reputation for good coverage. It comes in a pressurized can so you don’t need any additional equipment to apply it.
Once it dries, it won’t transfer to clothes, either.
Again, you might still need makeup to finish the job.
We long for the day that everyone can enjoy getting and displaying body art without fear. Until then, we hope that we helped you find the right makeup to cover up tattoos.
If you have feedback on the products we suggested, let us know.
1. https://m.wikihow.com/Cover-a-Tattoo-with-Makeup by Kiara Hamed, published March 29, 2018, accessed July 18, 2019
2. https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tania-barbe/hiding-that-pesky-tattoo-_b_14554362.html by Tania Barbe, published February 15, 2018, accessed July 18, 2019